I put this sweet potato recipe together throughout the fall and winter seasons, but considering how simple the dish is to prepare, anytime is a great time to enjoy it! —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, seasonings, orange peel and cocoa. Stir in tomato sauce; add to skillet and heat through. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p33
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review