Slow-Cooked Calico Beans
My sister-in-law gave me the recipe for these hearty beans that make an appearance at all of our family functions. The ingredients slowly cook to perfection for a mouthwatering sweet-and-smoky flavor. Everyone will be going back for seconds!
10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the beans, pineapple,
- onion, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through. Just
- before serving, stir in bacon.
- Yield: 10 servings.