Slow-Cooked Cabbage Rolls
"I've worked full-time for more than 30 years, and this super slow-cooker recipe has been a lifesaver," writes Rosemary Jarvis of Sparta, Tennessee. "It cooks while I'm away and smells heavenly when I walk in the door in the evening."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- Salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set
- aside 12 large leaves for rolls; drain well. (Refrigerate remaining
- cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of
- each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, green pepper,
- cracker crumbs, egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix
- Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut
- ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up
- completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
- Place cabbage rolls in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour V8 juice over rolls.