Slow-Cooked Cabbage Rolls Recipe
"I've worked full-time for more than 30 years, and this super slow-cooker recipe has been a lifesaver," writes Rosemary Jarvis of Sparta, Tennessee. "It cooks while I'm away and smells heavenly when I walk in the door in the evening."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- Salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; drain well. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, green pepper, cracker crumbs, egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
- 4. Place cabbage rolls in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour V8 juice over rolls. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until filling reaches 160°. Just before serving, sprinkle with salt and cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC