Slow-Cooked Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- Salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; drain well. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, green pepper, cracker crumbs, egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
- Place cabbage rolls in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour V8 juice over rolls. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until filling reaches 160°. Just before serving, sprinkle with salt and cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Cabbage Rolls
Sort By :
This is not difficult. I like to STEAM the cabbage the day before. Cut out as much 'core' as deep as possible and place in 5 qt dutch over with steamer that unfolds or in pasta cooker with steamer basket. During 'commercials lol...remove two or three leaves to any receptacle. Refrigerate when you have at least 12 leaves. Store leftover cabbage in same container. I don't SPIT my leaves cutting the thick vein. I take my paring knife and THIN IT down to the leaf thickness. Also, this recipe was waaaay too tomatoey with the T juice. I use my basic meat loaf recipe with the rice and a can of RoTel tomatoes added to the mix. Sometimes i put a 'stewed tomato' in the middle of the meat mix that I roll in the leaf if I have an extra can. My rolls are BIG lol. I place as many as I can fit in a 13 by 9 bake pan. I use a can of stewed tomatoes, juice and all along with enough beef stock/broth ALMOST to the top of the rolls in the pan. I throw any meat mixture left over the top along with a large sliced onion, a small handful of instant rice and cover with any leftover leaves OR any of the leftover head of cabbage chopped. Into the oven at 400 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours. All the cabbage rolls get eaten and what's left in the pan is the cooks treat. Beef broth, ground beef, rice, onion , and cabbage ....simple soup to take to lunch the next day. The cabbage rolls are moist (juicy) and beefy flavored. Never have liked tomato sauce based cabbage rolls.
I really liked the idea of making these in the slow cooker, very delicious.
For never having made cabbage rolls before this was a fairly simple recipe and the results were excellant! My husband was in seventh heaven and when he took leftovers to work received several requests for the recipe. Definitely a keeper
I don't understand how to roll them - I'm rating it but haven't tried it yet - they are making me in order to submit ?? ;)
I enjoyed this recipe very much. I did not have V8, so I used an assortment of tomato sauces. I also added seasons and spices per the advice of other reviews. I used 2 lbs of ground beef, which I think took away from the flavor. All in all a good, hearty meal. Thanks