- 4 whole wheat bagels, split and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine the bagels, apple, cranberries and raisins. In a large bowl, whisk the milk, egg substitute, sugar, butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over bagel mixture and stir to combine; gently press bagels down into milk mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Bread Pudding
"Just wondering. As a Jew, I know bagels. Only time I have heard of them other than here is from a friend of a friend who said that they give you wheat (hard enough to kill someone if thrown lol) bagels. Whole. At the store, like Albertsons, Vons, and at deli's that sell them , have not seen them."
"My husband loves Bread Pudding....me not so much. But this was reallllllyyyyyy good. Instead of the wheat bagels I used Cinnamon/Raisin Bagels. Was really delicious but don't forget the cool whip on top. This recipe is a keeper."
"Not bad. Is better when right out of the crock pot. Next time try different bagels."
"Absolutely tasty. Used the bagels, cinnamon & raisin. Used 7 eggs instead. Used 3 Granny Smith apples and craisins. I doubled the recipe as we had a crowd. I also used a 7 qt. crock pot. It had to cook longer, of course, so I cooked it on high for 5 hours and then on low for a little over 3 and it was just perfect. Watched the edges, tho. A good one to start with."
"Superb!!! Church family scarfed it, and it was so easy, We used 1 egg, rather than substitute, and it was fine.(didn't know the Substitute = 4 eggs). My husband is a bread pudding officianado, and he loved it!!"
"Not as good as my mom's , but pretty darn good. I didn't have Craisins, so I used an extra apple. I also used cinnamon raisin bagels. This recipe is quite forgiving and you can use and substitute different ingredients. Fresh eggs you most certainly can substitute."
"This is for firstname.lastname@example.org question about eggs & egg substitutes. On wiki.answers.com,4 eggs=1 C egg substitute"
"I used 2 cranberry bagels and 2 pumpkin spice bagels and used regular eggs and milk. I did not have any raisins on hand so I left those out and used pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon. It was so good. I will surely make this again. With all the different flavors of bagels the possibilities are endless.. Thank you for sharing your recipe."
"This is very good."