- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1/4 pound sliced salt pork belly or bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rum or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add water to cover by 2 in. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker; add salt pork. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir into slow cooker.
Cook, covered, on low 9-11 hours or until beans are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Boston Beans
Sort By :
"The recipe did not work out for me. The beans were still crunchy after being in the crock pot for 12 hours. Because there are relatively few ingredients in this dish, the overall flavor of the beans is not very complex. It did not have the depth of flavor that other Boston baked bean recipes have. The rum flavor did shine through, so if you like the flavor of rum you may like how it plays out in this dish."