Slow-Cooked Boston Beans
These slow-cooked beans have a little more zip than usual Boston baked beans, and the rum helps lighten the flavor. —Anne Sheehy, Lawrence, Massachusetts
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 9 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1/4 pound sliced salt pork belly or bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rum or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add
- water to cover by 2 in. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a greased
- 3-qt. slow cooker; add salt pork. In a small bowl, combine remaining
- ingredients. Stir into slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 9-11 hours or until beans are tender. Yield: 8
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.