Slow-Cooked Boston Beans Recipe
These slow-cooked beans have a little more zip than usual Boston baked beans, and the rum helps lighten the flavor. —Anne Sheehy, Lawrence, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 9 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1/4 pound sliced salt pork belly or bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rum or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add water to cover by 2 in. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker; add salt pork. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir into slow cooker.
- 3. Cook, covered, on low 9-11 hours or until beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC