Slow-Cooked Blueberry French Toast Recipe
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- BLUEBERRY SYRUP:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in milk and maple syrup until blended.
- 2. Place half of the bread in a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; layer with half of the blueberries, cream cheese and egg mixture. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. For syrup, in a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until berries pop, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and remaining berries. Serve warm with French toast. Yield: 12 servings (2 cups syrup).
1 cup with about 2 tablespoons sauce: 390 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Blueberry French Toast
"if I put the crockpot on warm(instead of low) do you think I could start this the night before and let it cook for 8 hours????"
"I took this to a church brunch today and didn't even get any because it went so quickly. People raved about it and even my picky six year old loved it! I cooked it for a little under three hours and it was cooked through and a little dark on the bottom so watch it closely towards the end of the cook time.It went together quickly and smelled fantastic!"
"This got rave reviews from my family,but the bottom was almost burned after 4 hrs. I will go with 3 1/2 next time"
"Outstanding! Got rave reviews all the way around. As I was adding the cream cheese, it seemed like a bit much so I went a little less. Everyone went back for more and were disappointed to see that it was already gone."
"Made the other version for the oven once, and so I knew this would be good and save my oven for something else for the brunch I had planned! I was right!!! Our family really doesn't need that much (or any) cream cheese to make this good, but that's our tastes. I would never rate it less because of that."
"I was hesitant to try this, because I thought it would turn out really soggy since it was going to be in the refrigerator overnight. That was not the case at all...it turned out perfectly and was done in exactly 3 hours! Very rich and tasty!"
"Wonderful to have the work done the night before. Wonderful to serve when you have company or for holidays!"