Slow Cooked Beef Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cider vinegar, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced, divided
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 15 whole cloves, divided
- 6 bay leaves, divided
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, half of the onions, lemon, 10 cloves, four bay leaves, peppercorns, sugar and salt; mix well. Add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add pepper and remaining water, vinegar, onions, cloves and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Stir in gingersnaps. Cover and cook on high for 10-15 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (3 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup gravy) equals 214 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.