- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
"Really good on a cold winter's night! Love a great low-cal soup that has meat in it!"
"Easy! I ended up cooking on high for about 4 hours and then low for 3 and it turned out great. Served with garlic bread."
"Just to add to my last comment, this soup freezes beautifully. Wow! Yalk about comfort food - it's delicious."
"We loved this soup! Second day was even better. Will definitely make it again."