Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- 3. Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups: 259 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1316mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup
"Really good on a cold winter's night! Love a great low-cal soup that has meat in it!"
"Just to add to my last comment, this soup freezes beautifully. Wow! Yalk about comfort food - it's delicious."
"We loved this soup! Second day was even better. Will definitely make it again."
"Great and easy for a cold winter night. Did cut the spices in half. Made with venison."
"This was really good and simple. I left out the carrot and added more bell pepper (dislike carrots). Otherwise I made as listed. It was great served with thick sliced bread."
"This is my husband's new favorite soup. To accommodate the ingredients that I had on hand, I used pizza sauce instead of spaghetti sauce, frozen "veggies for soup" instead of the fresh veggies, and browned ground beef instead of the stew meat. Very yummy! I would like to try it with the stew meat sometime."
"Super Yummy!!! We are most of the soup the first day I made it...but the second day it was 10 times better!!!"
"This was great. I cooked mine in the crockpot all day."
"Smells great as it cooks tastes even better!"
"This is delicious and so easy!! Great for a cold night."