Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup Recipe
“My hubby doesn't usually consider a bowl of soup 'dinner,' but this hearty, comforting soup, served with cornbread on the side, got a thumbs up…even from him!” Ginny Perkins - Columbiana, Ohio
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- 3. Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 259 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,316 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC