“My hubby doesn't usually consider a bowl of soup 'dinner,' but this hearty, comforting soup, served with cornbread on the side, got a thumbs up…even from him!” Ginny Perkins - Columbiana, Ohio
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p64
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review