- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until onion and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Bean Medley
Sort By :
"I'm surprised that this bean dish got such high reviews, because I thought it was rather bland. I think that maybe substituting barbecue sauce for the ketchup would punch up the flavor, but I won't be making them again. It was an attractive dish, with the color from the peppers and corn, but was really lacking in flavor. Not bad- just bland."
"I put ground beef in. It was a big hit"
"I'm not sure how I liked this as a side dish, but (as another reviewer suggested) it was great with fritos! i can see how it would be a great hot dog topping as well."
"Excellent change of pace with baked beans."
"This is absolutely delicious! I have made it many times for cookouts and potlucks. Everyone loves it and asks for the recipe."