- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich buns, split
- Sliced onions, dill pickles and pickled jalapenos, optional
- Cut roast in half and place in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
Shred beef with two forks; return to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Serve with onions, pickles and jalapenos if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Sort By :
"very good. Met expectations. Next time will add some spice (maybe cayenne) as it was a bit mild for our tastes.Slow cooking is a wonderful thing in some cases, and this is one of them!"
"This was delicious, my meat was just a smidge under 3 lbs rather than over, did it exactly as written in recipe, served on rolls, my husband put Mancini mild Giardiniera on his, kind of a mixture of onions, peppers, carrots etc. Made enough for 4-6 people, I froze some and put some aside for a lunch for husband. Coleslaw may have made a nice addition, like with pulled pork. Let meat cool, put disposable gloves on and shred away, easier than fork, you can pull all the fat off, chuck tends to be tasty, but fatty. Messy to eat was my only complaint."
"Husband approved....I didn't use the liquid smoke, didn't have Dijon mustard, used regular mustard, added a little chopped onion,,,,very good."
"This was a hit! I used spicy ketchup to give it a little kick."
"Big hit with family. Both husband and son gave it a thumbs up! Did not use mustard - hate it! Or liquid smoke. Very good."