Slow-Cooked Asian Chicken
Extremely tender chicken is smothered in a dark, flavorful sauce in this easy and elegant entree. It's so nice to find another tantalizing way to serve chicken. Sprinkled with almonds, this is a dish I proudly serve to family or guests.
-Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on all
- sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, brown
- sugar, water, garlic and ginger; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run
- clear. Remove chicken to a serving platter sprinkle with almonds.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 381 calories, 23 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 907 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.