Slow-Cooked Applesauce Recipe
- 6 pounds apples (about 18 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the apples, sugar, water, salt and cinnamon. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- 2. Turn off heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Mash if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 12 cups.
1/2 cup equals 105 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.