- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, brown beef on all sides. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and red pepper. Pour tomatoes over the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, tomato paste and broth until smooth. Stir in the wine, salt, garlic, pepper and thyme; pour into slow cooker. Top with beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cook Beef Stew
Sort By :
"We really enjoy this stew. I do omit the thyme just for personal preference but otherwise follow the recipe."
"I made the recipe, following the recipe exactly until I realized there were no onions! Come on....beef stew without onions!! I added the equivalent of a "medium" onion, diced, and loved the flavor. A little trick that help others....put the top round beef in the freezer for ~90 minutes before cutting it into cubes. This makes cutting the beef easier. I love the ease and flavor of this recipe. I shared the crockpot "load" with two others and they also loved the flavor. Many other beef stew slow cooker recipes do not stress the importance of putting the veggies own the bottom where they need to be (closer to the heat source) to cook thoroughly. I don't think you can improve this recipe except for adding the white or yellow onion (not Vidalia, which would add nothing to the flavor....people like Vidalias because they don't get tears when dicing them)."
"This is a delicious stew- wanted to give it five stars, but can't decide whether on not the thyme flavor works. Made it with russet instead of red, think red would have tasted better. Added a medium vidalia onion, omitted mushrooms since I did not have any on hand. Added an entire can (14 oz) of beef broth, no wine. It still turned out wonderful, but sauce was a little thin, probably because of extra broth. It makes the house smell fabulous. It needed 7 hours to cook the vegetables through, the meat was probably done at 6 hrs. Served it over buttered egg noodles. Will surely make it many times - the family loved it."
"The stores in my area do not sell carrots by small, medium, or large. Nor do they sell peppers of any kind that way. I can only get them by the pound. Can you tell me where I can buy these things in the proper size?"
"This stew has great flavor and easy to put together. I omitted the red pepper and added 1 medium onion. The hubby loved it so much that with every mouth full he said this is great...........a keeper at my house."