“I work long hours and try to find recipes for hearty meals that'll be ready when I arrive home,” writes Donna Wenger of Little Rock, Arkansas. “Everyone who tries this really enjoys the rich taste and tender meat.”
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, brown beef on all sides. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and red pepper. Pour tomatoes over the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, tomato paste and broth until smooth. Stir in the wine, salt, garlic, pepper and thyme; pour into slow cooker. Top with beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Beef Stew in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007, p64
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cook Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review