Slow 'n' Easy Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- 3. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon some of the sauce over chicken and serve the remaining sauce on the side. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 319 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 947 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 31 g protein.
Reviews for Slow 'n' Easy Barbecued Chicken
"Just trying this today 9/20/14 for the 1st time. I'll let you know how it turns out!"
"Thought this was a great recipe"
"Sounds great, but had a question for those that have made this recipe. 3-4 hours on low heat doesn't sound right. Did it cook through in this amount of time or should it be on the high setting? Thanks everyone!"
"I used chicken breast next time i'll shred the chicken to make sliders."
"I've made the sauce from this recipe many times since I reviewed it almost 3 years ago. On chicken, or just about any meat - this recipe is a keeper!"
"This was pretty gross. It took way longer for the chicken to cook than was indicated in the recipe. It took 7 hours! And there was absolutely no flavor to the chicken whatsoever. The bar b que sauce looked almost gray and unappetizing, but it lacked flavor too! Was not a hit in my family."
"Very good, and it pleased even the picky eater. Will definitely make again."
"I tired the recipe last month and made it just sa suggested, with chicken drumsticks. It went over really BIG at my house, even tho we're white meat eaters - plus drums were on sale for only 99 cents a pound that week.I am trying a variation on this recipe today. I made the barbeque sauce and put it, along with meatballs into the crock pot.For anyone who likes to experiment, I think this dish could certainly be made with boneless chicken, pork chops, maybe even beef cubes; there's all kinds of possibilities. It's the sauce that makes this dish.I think it's going to be yummy made with meat balls - but I will let you know for sure after dinner."
"Can this receipe be used with just boneless, skinless chicken breasts?"
""Remove from the heat." Change this to "Remove MIXTURE from the heat.""Top with sauce." change this to "Top with MIXTURE.". Is this what the recipe is telling you to do?"...for 2 minutes or until thickened." change this to "...for 2 minutes or until thickened INTO A SAUCE.""
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.