- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 small zucchini, halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- Cook barley according to package directions; stir into soup. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Slow & Easy Minestrone
"This soup was easy to make and is very good. I think I would add some hamburger to it next time to make it even more hearty."
"I love veggies so minestrone is one of my favorite soups.I made a few changes due to what we had on hand and for our tastes. I used crushed tomatoes because that is what we had on hand. I added red wine and substituted chicken broth for the veggie broth. Finally I left out the barely and added pasta instead at the end. Overall the recipe was good. I would make it again with the same changes and adding some additional spices for more flavor."
"This was such an easy recipe to throw together. I didn't have a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, but I DID have a 35 oz can of Italian plum tomatoes with basil... so I put those in the crock & used my kitchen shears & potato masher to break them apart. As a side note, I did not add the basil later as I didn't feel I needed it after tasting. I did add a couple of teaspoons of salt at the end as I do feel it needed something a little more. Make sure you are generous with the zucchini slices...maybe an inch... as they will break down eventually. I cooked mine on high for about 4 hours before reducing the heat. Also... take note... that you might plan on making the barley ahead of time as the brand I had on hand... took about 40 min & I hadn't planned that into my cooking time."
"I left out the beans and added 1/2 can of beer, doubled the barley and it was SO good! Lots of work to put up all the veggies but worth it!"
"Tasted very bland to me"