Sloppy Jose Supper Recipe
Do something fun and delicious with your leftover cornbread. Top it with this slightly spicy Southwest dish. Simple, fast and comforting. Bethany Creaser, Derby Line, Vermont
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- 1. Prepare and bake corn bread according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, chipotle pepper, chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in salsa and chili sauce; simmer for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 4. Cut corn bread into nine squares; save four pieces for another use. Top each square of remaining corn bread with 2/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Dollop with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings plus leftover corn bread.
1 serving (calculated without sour cream) equals 363 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC