- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Prepare and bake corn bread according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, chipotle pepper, chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in salsa and chili sauce; simmer for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut corn bread into nine squares; save four pieces for another use. Top each square of remaining corn bread with 2/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Dollop with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings plus leftover corn bread.
Reviews for Sloppy Jose Supper
Sort By :
very basic and a good combination
I love this recipe--I did not have the cumin or the adobo spices--leaving them out did not hurt the dish at all!
i loved it! i cannot rate it excellent because it took longer in prep than i wanted, otherwise, it's a yummy winner! oh and i didn't use the chipotles...good anyway.
it was very easy and great tasting..the mixture would also be great on a sandwich or in a taco