- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato sauce, lentils, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until lentils are tender. Serve on buns. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sloppy Joes with Lentils in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p53
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Sloppy Joes with Lentils
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review