- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or celery seed
- 2 teaspoons onion salt or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p37
Reviews for Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2008
"With all of the good ratings, I was very surprised to find I did not care for these. With the tomatoes and spices, it had more of an Italian sauce feel than I prefer for my sloppy joes."