Sloppy Joes for 8 Dozen
“My husband and I raised 3 boys, and they had great appetites. I cooked and baked huge amounts of everything! I hope you like these Sloppy Joes as much as we do.”
—Wanieta Penner, Assaria, Kansas
96 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 15 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 1 gallon ketchup
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 96 hamburger buns, split
- In two stockpots over medium heat, cook and stir beef and onions
- until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard,
- vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Spoon 1/3 cup onto
- each bun. Yield: 96 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 281 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 796 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.