- 15 pounds ground beef
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 1 gallon ketchup
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 96 hamburger buns, split
- In two stockpots over medium heat, cook and stir beef and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun. Yield: 96 servings.
Reviews for Sloppy Joes for 8 Dozen
"This recipe is great if you're going to serve the sandwiches already assembled. 2-3 oz per sandwich is a decent serving size. However, if you're going to set this out on a buffet self serve style, I would definitely make extra."
"If you are feeding 96 people , this beef only feeds half of those people. You need 30 lbs of meat for 96 people. I almost had a disaster making this for a crowd of 100. Fortunately i talked to someone who knew what they were doing and said you need 30 lbs. It was just enough."
"I haven't made this recipe, but seeing the review for this recipe not being diabetic friendly, I have to comment. My dad is diabetic and several other people I know are. 1/4 tsp of added sugar per sandwich is not bad! I do realize that the ketchup and some of the other ingredients contain sugars as well. But this recipe is really not bad if you are diabetic and want a sloppy joe. I actually thought it was a "normal" sized recipe at first even with 1/2 cup brown sugar."
"A little too much ketchup for us. NOTE to diabetic SPLENDA makes a Brown Sugar for diabetics. AND you only use 1/2 as much as what the recipe calls for!"
"This is NOT diabetic friendly with brown sugar in it."