- 15 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 1 gallon ketchup
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 96 hamburger buns, split
- In two stockpots over medium heat, cook and stir beef and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun. Yield: 96 servings.
Reviews for Sloppy Joes for 8 Dozen
Sort By :
"I haven't made this recipe, but seeing the review for this recipe not being diabetic friendly, I have to comment. My dad is diabetic and several other people I know are. 1/4 tsp of added sugar per sandwich is not bad! I do realize that the ketchup and some of the other ingredients contain sugars as well. But this recipe is really not bad if you are diabetic and want a sloppy joe. I actually thought it was a "normal" sized recipe at first even with 1/2 cup brown sugar."
"A little too much ketchup for us. NOTE to diabetic SPLENDA makes a Brown Sugar for diabetics. AND you only use 1/2 as much as what the recipe calls for!"
"This is NOT diabetic friendly with brown sugar in it."
"Am I the only one who didn't understand the recipe? Do you put 15 lbs. of meat in each pot? Do you divide the seasoning ingredients between your two pots or do you put those amounts into each pot?"
"I tried another recipe today but am going back to this one for Fathers Day. When you want to keep eating after you're full it's good. I'm still looking for the recipe we had in our grade school cafeteria. It left grease on your lips. I know I know."