- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Spoon onto buns. Yield: 6-8 servings (3 cups).
Reviews for Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"My mother recently passed away and took her Sloppy Joe (Cowboy Burgers, she called them) recipe with her. I have looked and looked to duplicate it, but to no avail until I found this recipe. It's not an exact match but SO DELICIOUS!! I definitely can live with this one. :)"
"I love homemade Sloppy Joes, not using the McCormick packets. Not a fan of the taste or flavor so I was willing to spend alittle time making a sloppy joe receipe even if it wasnt super quick to prep. I found this receipe and although it has a ton of steps to it, all the ingredients involved with this receipe is necessary to create the delicious taste! The only con is there are A LOT of ingredients that go in it which requires a lot of measuring and much more added time to make. I wouldn't call this a quick one to make but I can assure you if you can invest the time to make it, you won't be sorry! It has a ton of flavor and taste delicious! Also I never need to simmer it for 1 hour, thats a bit too long and I found it almost burned it to the bottom of the pan so 45min max is all you need to cook it!"
"Followed recipe exactly. It was the best sloppy joes I have eaten! My husband and son loved them. We will make these again."
"I have tried lots of Sloppy Joe recipes but I have found this the best."
"Great! Follow recipe exactly."