Sloppy Joe Veggie Casserole Recipe
Sloppy joe flavor meets veggie lasagna wholesomeness. My family loves this dynamic duo, and you’ll love how simple it is to prepare. —Sue Schmidtke, Oro Valley, Arizona
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the vegetables, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sloppy joe mix, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture.
- 3. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese, 3/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack and the remaining pasta mixture.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC