- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the vegetables, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sloppy joe mix, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese, 3/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and the remaining pasta mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sloppy Joe Veggie Casserole
"Loved it! My 7 year old even asked for SECONDS!!! And that never happens!"
"Made this the other night and we all liked it. Worth making it again. I think I might try adding in some frozen tomatoes to this also."
"Thanks Sue! This dish was VERY delicious! I took the liberty to add in a clove of finely minced garlic in Step #2. Instead of using (ALL) 2% cottage cheese.... I used a 50/50 combo of 2% cottage cheese, and Low Fat Ricotta. In Step #4, I used an "Italian Five Cheese Blend", because that's what I had in my fridge at the time. This dish was delicious, and we enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely make it again."
"All in all this was very good!! Easy to make!! I read all the reviews and any of the changes you want to make to this recipe should work just fine. I used about 1/2 lb more meat. I would use ricotta cheese. Instead of baking for the last 10 minutes, I broiled this dish for 5 minutes which gave a nice melted/crunchy crust on top. My family loved it!!"
"Excellent recipe! Everyone in my family enjoyed it. I used half ricotta and half cottage cheese. I liked the vegetables and the taste of the sauce. I will definitely make this again."