Sloppy Joe Under a Bun
I usually keep a can of sloppy joe sauce in the pantry, because our kids love sloppy joes. But sometimes I don't have buns on hand. With this fun casserole, we can still enjoy the flavor that they love in a flash. The bun-like top crust is made with biscuit mix, sprinkled with sesame seeds and baked until golden.
-Trish Bloom, Ray, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) sloppy joe sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in sloppy joe sauce. Transfer to a lightly greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, eggs and milk just until
- blended. Pour over cheese; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake,
- uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 423 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 961 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.