Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
This is one of those recipes that cooks love because it's quick, easy and inexpensive. Brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness. In addition to rolls, the beef mixture is tasty over rice, biscuits or baked potatoes.
-Laurie Hauser, Rochester, New York
2 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire
- sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Serve on
- buns. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One sandwich (prepared with lean ground beef) equals 409 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,391 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.