Sloppy Joe Sandwich
This time, editor Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas shares a proven favorite, Sloppy Joe Sandwiches. "This recipe comes from a renowned local cook who was the lunchroom cook when my husband, Boyd, went to grade school," she reveals. "We now use it for our annual Gove Old Settlers Day supper in summer."
100 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 20 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 gallon ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns
- In several large kettles, cook beef over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Add the next seven ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1
- hour or until thickened and heated through; stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns.
- Yield: 100 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 551 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.