Sloppy Joe Pie Recipe
Meet the Cook: To be honest, I don't hear many compliments on this dish...folks are always too busy eating! I developed the recipe by grabbing ingredients from my refrigerator and cupboards one "crunch time" when I needed an easy dish fast. Last year, my husband and I retired from the grocery business - we'd run three rural supermarkets. Now, we're back in school as full-time students. -Kathy McCreary, Goddard, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated biscuits
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, corn, water and sloppy joe seasoning; cook over medium heat until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. Separate biscuits; flatten each to a 3-1/2-in. circle. Place milk and cornmeal in separate shallow bowls; dip both sides into milk and then into the cornmeal. Place seven biscuits around the sides and three on the bottom of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- 3. Press biscuits together to form a crust, leaving a scalloped edge around rim. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon meat mixture over cheese.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 371 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 1,174 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC