Sloppy Joe Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated biscuits
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, corn, water and sloppy joe seasoning; cook over medium heat until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Separate biscuits; flatten each to a 3-1/2-in. circle. Place milk and cornmeal in separate shallow bowls; dip both sides into milk and then into the cornmeal. Place seven biscuits around the sides and three on the bottom of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- Press biscuits together to form a crust, leaving a scalloped edge around rim. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon meat mixture over cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Sloppy Joe Pie(5)
Sort By :
I altered this recipe to use what I had in my cupboard: I used the called for ground beef and onion, but I used canned sloppy joe mix and crushed tortilla chips instead of cornmeal. I also put the extra biscuit dough over the top of the meat mixture. Turned out great and my husband said this recipe is a "keeper."
This was quick and simple to make .. Loved the twist on bread into cornbread taste for pie crust. This was a good dish made as recipe calls for .. does need a little more umph! for my personal taste. My son and couple co-workers loved this as is ... does yield a large amount & doesn't take much of this hearty pie to fill up! Looking forward to making again and playing w/ingredients just a smidge!
Delicious and more filling than normal sloppy joes. Was even better tasting as leftovers! My friend who is a VERY picky eater even enjoyed this!
I'm sorry to say this wasn't enjoyed by my family when I made it in summer, 2009. I threw out the remainder.
This is so easy & a nice change from regular sloppy joes or tacos..my family loved it!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >