Combining two mealtime classics into this casserole was a success for Dorothy Leone. Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese is a hit in her Meredith, New Hampshire home. “My grandchildren love it,” she says. “It's so versatile, too. Instead of the sloppy joe mix, I sometimes add taco seasoning, and I've also experimented with the other ingredients. But I do hope you can lighten it up a bit."
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth. Gradually add cream and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese until melted. Add macaroni; mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the macaroni mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread beef mixture to within 2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese in Light & Tasty
Reviews for Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review