Sloppy Joe Dogs Recipe
You’ve seen variations on the loose meat sandwich – the Manwich, Dynamite, even Sloppy Jane. This version teams Joe with a good dog. —Kim Wallace, Dennison, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:16 servings
- SLOPPY JOE TOPPING:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 hot dogs
- 16 hot dog buns, split
- Warmed process cheese sauce and grilled onions, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato soup, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and garlic powder; heat through.
- 2. Grill hot dogs, covered, over medium heat for 6-10 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Serve on buns. Top each with 1/4 cup beef mixture. Top with warmed process cheese sauce and grilled onions if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 dog (calculated without optional toppings) equals 422 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 959 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC