Not the traditional sloppy joe, this colorful sandwich combines bacon, salad greens, tomato and cheese with a mayonnaise dressing. "My dad made these somewhat-messy but tasty BLT's often when we were kids," says Debbie Blackburn, New Cumberland, Pennsylvania.
- 4 cups hearts of romaine salad mix
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the salad mix, tomato, cheeses and bacon. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper; spoon over salad mixture and toss to coat. Spoon about 3/4 cup over six bread slices; top with remaining bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sloppy Joe BLT's in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p45
Reviews for Sloppy Joe BLT's
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review