- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo, casings removed, or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- FOR DECORATION:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Green food coloring, optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sliced ripe olives, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut one small strip of red pepper and reserve; chop remaining pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo, beef, pepper, onion and garlic, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain.
- Roll dough into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread beef mixture lengthwise in middle of dough; sprinkle with cheese. Wrap dough around beef-cheese mixture. Pinch seam to seal; tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking sheet, and form into a snake shape. Whisk egg and, if desired, food coloring. Paint snake with egg wash; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Decorate with two ripe olive slices for eyes and reserved red pepper strip for a tongue.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- . Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slithering Snake Roll in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p36
Reviews for Slithering Snake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review