- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 7-in.-long roll (about 1-3/4-in. diameter); roll in colored sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients; spread over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
Sort By :
"I love these cookies--they really are gems! Full of flavor and beautiful on a holiday cookie platter. I match the color of the sorinkles I roll the dough in to the colors of the holiday we're celebrating."
"I love serving these cookies as they are so pretty and dainty."
"I will leave off the rolled in sprinkles step next time, I don't think they added anything, but the glaze does, and everyone enjoyed them at our Easter dinner."
"Great cookies. I'm generous with the lemon, and everyone (except lemon haters) love these"
"The icing is the best part of this recipe and I would use it on another sugar cookie recipe, but these cookies are too dry...almost like a tasteless shortbread."