Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored nonpareils
- LEMON ICING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 1-3/4-in.-diameter roll; roll in nonpareils. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Spread over cookies. Yield: 28 cookies.
Reviews for Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
Sort By :
Great cookies. I'm generous with the lemon, and everyone (except lemon haters) love these
The icing is the best part of this recipe and I would use it on another sugar cookie recipe, but these cookies are too dry...almost like a tasteless shortbread.
These lemon Slice 'n' Bake cookies are quick and easy to mix and bake. I left my roll of dough in the refrigerator over night and then divided the roll in thirds before baking. I used three different colors of sugar for Easter and they were so very pretty.
Next time I would double the dough and also cut them a little thicker so they are not quite so fragile.
I took them to a church bake sale. Everyone thought they were delicious and lemony...esp. the yummy lemon glaze.
* To add to my review, it would be easy to make these for Valentines Day: Omit lemon zest, add Almond Extract, roll in red/white nonparelis, then shape into heart shape, and tint the frosting pink.
Bravo! I added yellow food coloring to the icing so they didn't look plain, even with rainbow nonparelis. Loved the icing with fresh lemon juice and zest. Will be adding Lemon extract next time.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Lemon Cookies >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >