- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 7-in.-long roll (about 1-3/4-in. diameter); roll in colored sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients; spread over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
Sort By :
"I will leave off the rolled in sprinkles step next time, I don't think they added anything, but the glaze does, and everyone enjoyed them at our Easter dinner."
"Great cookies. I'm generous with the lemon, and everyone (except lemon haters) love these"
"The icing is the best part of this recipe and I would use it on another sugar cookie recipe, but these cookies are too dry...almost like a tasteless shortbread."
"These lemon Slice 'n' Bake cookies are quick and easy to mix and bake. I left my roll of dough in the refrigerator over night and then divided the roll in thirds before baking. I used three different colors of sugar for Easter and they were so very pretty.Next time I would double the dough and also cut them a little thicker so they are not quite so fragile.I took them to a church bake sale. Everyone thought they were delicious and lemony...esp. the yummy lemon glaze."
"* To add to my review, it would be easy to make these for Valentines Day: Omit lemon zest, add Almond Extract, roll in red/white nonparelis, then shape into heart shape, and tint the frosting pink."