- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 7-in.-long roll (about 1-3/4-in. diameter); roll in colored sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients; spread over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
"The family loved the flavor of these cookies. The color was a welcome addition on the Christmas cookie tray."
"Melt in your mouth like a butter cookie but the lemon adds a touch of tartness."
"An easy recipe to make. I have to agree with TriciaAG. I too would leave off the coloured sugar. I think it looks nice around the edge, but detracts from the tartness of the lemon glaze, which is great. I think I would also make them just a tad thicker."
"I love these cookies--they really are gems! Full of flavor and beautiful on a holiday cookie platter. I match the color of the sorinkles I roll the dough in to the colors of the holiday we're celebrating."
"I love serving these cookies as they are so pretty and dainty."