- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, cloves and nutmeg
- Additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and corn syrup. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, orange peel, allspice, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into four 6-in. rolls; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
- Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 dozen.
Reviews for Slice & Bake Orange Spice Wafers
"yes I would make them again,but I had to bake them longer,the taste is great"
"Tasteless. Store bought plain gingersnaps are better. The recipe sounded great but fell flat. Won't make again."
"Has anyone tried this recipe? I was thinking of adding it to my Christmas cookie tray this year, but with only 2 tsp. orange peel in the whole recipe, I can't see how there would be much of any orange flavor to them."