Sleeping Bag Blondies
Sharon Bickett sent her golden brownie recipe from Chester, South Carolina, and our staff dressed it up. Mint candies make pillow for little gumball heads that peek out from colorful sleeping bags.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- 1-1/2 cups white frosting
- Brown, yellow, green, orange, pink and blue gel food coloring
- 8 large marshmallows
- 16 miniature vanilla wafers
- Assorted sprinkles and mini honey bear-shaped crackers, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil,
- letting ends extend up sides; grease foil. In a large bowl, cream
- butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour. If desired, stir in pecans.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownie from pan. Trim 1/2 in. off edges.
- Cut remaining brownie lengthwise in half; cut each half crosswise
- into eight bars to make 16 sleeping bags.
- Tint 1/4 cup frosting brown and 2 tablespoons yellow; transfer to two