Sharon Bickett sent her golden brownie recipe from Chester, South Carolina, and our staff dressed it up. Mint candies make pillow for little gumball heads that peek out from colorful sleeping bags.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- 1-1/2 cups white frosting
- Brown, yellow, green, orange, pink and blue gel food coloring
- 8 large marshmallows
- 16 miniature vanilla wafers
- Assorted sprinkles and mini honey bear-shaped crackers, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. If desired, stir in pecans.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownie from pan. Trim 1/2 in. off edges. Cut remaining brownie lengthwise in half; cut each half crosswise into eight bars to make 16 sleeping bags.
- Tint 1/4 cup frosting brown and 2 tablespoons yellow; transfer to two resealable plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag and set aside. Divide remaining frosting among four bowls; tint green, orange, pink and blue. Spread each of the four frostings over four brownies, reserving a small amount of each frosting to attach wafers.
- For pillows, cut marshmallows vertically in half; place on one end of brownies, cut side down. Attach vanilla wafers to pillows. Pipe faces and hair on wafers using brown and yellow frostings. If desired, decorate with sprinkles and teddy bear crackers. Yield: 16 brownies.
Originally published as Sleeping Bag Blondies in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p14
Reviews for Sleeping Bag Blondies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review