Sky-High Strawberry Pie
This pie is my specialty. It's fairly simple to make but so dramatic to serve. The ultimate taste of spring, this luscious pie has such a big, fresh berry taste I've had many request to bring it to gatherings.
—Janet Mooberry, Peoria, Illinois
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 deep-dish pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- In a large bowl, mash enough berries to equal 3 cups. In a large
- saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in mashed berries and
- water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add food coloring if desired. Pour into a large
- bowl. Chill for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is
- just slightly warm. Fold in the remaining berries. Pile into pastry
- shell. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle dry
- pudding mix over cream and whip until stiff. Pipe around edge of pie
- or dollop on individual slices. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy