Sky-High Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 deep-dish pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- In a large bowl, mash enough berries to equal 3 cups. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in mashed berries and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add food coloring if desired. Pour into a large bowl. Chill for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is just slightly warm. Fold in the remaining berries. Pile into pastry shell. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over cream and whip until stiff. Pipe around edge of pie or dollop on individual slices. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sky-High Strawberry Pie
Sort By :
"I admit that this was my first time to prepare this pie and I couldn't pile the filling into the baked pie shell! I used a 9" pie shell I'd baked from scratch. I also scaled back on the sugar and cornstarch: 3 Tbsp. cornstarch and 3/4 cup sugar, but kept the water at 2/3 cup.I wound up with 2 cups of strawberries and instead of placing the filling in a bowl, I cooled it in the saucepan 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. I then added 4 drops of red food coloring and a 3-oz. package of strawberry gelatin. After cooling, I poured the filling into the baked pie shell and chilled the pie almost 2 hours! I did use 1 cup whipped topping and the 4-1/2 tsp. instant pudding (VANILLA) which I blended together with mixing spoon and allowed to chill before topping the pie! I then spread the whipped topping mixture over the set pie filling.I definitely would say that this recipe is a 5*ratedrecipe- I WILL definitely try again with MORE berries to really make the filling high!delowenstein"
"I may have done something wrong but it did not set up right for me, very runny...suggestions welcome :O) HOWEVER, I have made this whipped cream for other desserts and always get a standing O...LOVE IT! and Love how easy it is to "whip" up!"
"I made this for a gathering about 5 years ago and I STILL have some of the other guests commenting on how good it was! One of my family's faves. A definite keeper. This is why God created strawberries!!!"
"This pie is a family favorite and I've been making it for years. It has such a bright, fresh strawberry taste."