Sky-High Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 deep-dish pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- In a large bowl, mash enough berries to equal 3 cups. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in mashed berries and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add food coloring if desired. Pour into a large bowl. Chill for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is just slightly warm. Fold in the remaining berries. Pile into pastry shell. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over cream and whip until stiff. Pipe around edge of pie or dollop on individual slices. Yield: 8-10 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Sky-High Strawberry Pie
Sort By :
I admit that this was my first time to prepare this pie and I couldn't pile the filling into the baked pie shell! I used a 9" pie shell I'd baked from scratch. I also scaled back on the sugar and cornstarch: 3 Tbsp. cornstarch and 3/4 cup sugar, but kept the water at 2/3 cup.
I wound up with 2 cups of strawberries and instead of placing the filling in a bowl, I cooled it in the saucepan 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. I then added 4 drops of red food coloring and a 3-oz. package of strawberry gelatin. After cooling, I poured the filling into the baked pie shell and chilled the pie almost 2 hours! I did use 1 cup whipped topping and the 4-1/2 tsp. instant pudding (VANILLA) which I blended together with mixing spoon and allowed to chill before topping the pie! I then spread the whipped topping mixture over the set pie filling.
I definitely would say that this recipe is a 5*rated
recipe- I WILL definitely try again with MORE berries to really make the filling high!
I may have done something wrong but it did not set up right for me, very runny...suggestions welcome :O) HOWEVER, I have made this whipped cream for other desserts and always get a standing O...LOVE IT! and Love how easy it is to "whip" up!
I made this for a gathering about 5 years ago and I STILL have some of the other guests commenting on how good it was! One of my family's faves. A definite keeper. This is why God created strawberries!!!
This pie is a family favorite and I've been making it for years. It has such a bright, fresh strawberry taste.