INDIANA—"When I think of food and summer, I think of our county fair in July. My three sons and I have competed in a lot of 4-H cooking contests. I enter 15 or more food items every year in the open show. "I've found Taste of Home to be a great source for prize winning recipes. My recipe for Sky-High Biscuits (below) never fails to win a ribbon. They're moist, high and flaky, with a wonderfu
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until
- crumble. Combine egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until
- moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-15 times. Roll out
- to 1-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a
- greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until
- golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 237 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.