- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots, celery and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, peas, bay leaf, bouillon, basil, thyme, cumin, pepper and, if desired, pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Stir orzo and turkey into soup; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth, water or milk if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Skinny Turkey-Vegetable Soup
"This was super tasty and had a nice kick to it. I added an extra 1/2 cup of water and cooked the orzo in the soup. Will definitely be making again."
"Very good soup. I added sweet potato to it."
"My family said this was the best Turkey soup they have ever had, I agree!"
"NOW A GO-TO FOR US....We call it "the best soup ever!!""
"very good! I substitute pot barley or quinoa for the orzo for added whole grains"
"So good Easy to sub in chicken as well. Great flavor, a hint of spice is a great addition."
"Delicious!! Very hearty, excellent flavor. Made this for a family gathering and everyone loved it! Definitely going in my recipe collection!!"
"My whole family LOVED this soup. Delicious! Will be placing this in my recipe book for use again!"
"yum...simmering on the stove right now. I can't wait for dinner. The broth is delicous. I left the peas out in hopes my teenager will eat it too!"