- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots, celery and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, peas, bay leaf, bouillon, basil, thyme, cumin, pepper and pepper sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Stir orzo and turkey into soup; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Skinny Turkey-Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
Very good soup. I added sweet potato to it.
My family said this was the best Turkey Soup they have ever had, I agree!
NOW A GO-TO FOR US....We call it "the best soup ever!!"
very good! I substitute pot barley or quinoa for the orzo for added whole grains
So good Easy to sub in chicken as well. Great flavor, a hint of spice is a great addition.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >