- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant in milk, then bread crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in basil and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine wine and remaining marinara sauce. Layer with half of the eggplant, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Skinny Eggplant Parmesan in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p89
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Skinny Eggplant Parmesan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review